Financial Stability Program/VITA Intern (5-month)
At Community Partnership of the Ozarks we believe financial literacy and asset-building tools are the foundation of a healthy economic community. The Financial Stability Program consists of financial literacy education and the volunteer income tax assistance (VITA) program. This five-month internship (January – May) consists of supporting the VITA program by coordinating the appointment scheduling system, scheduling appointments, helping to promote the program within the public, and providing free tax filing services for families and individuals with income lower than $55,000 annually.
This position reports to the Director of Financial Stability (DFS) or the VP of Neighborhood & Community Development in the absence of the DFS.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work up to 20 hours per week during the semester, including some Saturdays and week day evenings
- Pass the BASIC IRS tax-preparation certification exam by January 10, 2020
- Work one VITA tax preparation shift per week in an outside clinic February 1 – April 15 (4 hours/week) in the role of Greeter or Tax Preparer
- Work two VITA phone shifts per week January 14-April 15 (10 hours/week)
- Assist in the office in completing Basic Level tax returns (4 hours week)
- Assist in planning annual Volunteer Appreciation Event
- Attend TAX-A-PALOOZA (one day tax clinic) on February 22, 2020
- Attend all mandatory meetings
- The desire to help the community utilize financial resources to build financial health
- Attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to handle difficult customers with tact and politeness
- Knowledge of Google Docs and Excel preferred
- No previous experience or knowledge of taxes is required! You will receive thorough training for this role
Meeting deadlines is very important to the work done in this department. If you are a self-starter and looking for a great, positive place to build your resume or portfolio, you are encouraged to apply. This is a non-paid, volunteer position. This internship is best suited for students in the following majors: Business, Accounting, Finance, Communications/Marketing, Human Services, or Social Work but all applicants will be considered. Community Partnership of the Ozarks is an Equal Opportunity Employer.