Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (EDI) encompasses the relationship, philosophy and culture of acknowledging, welcoming, embracing, supporting, and accepting those of all racial, sexual orientation, gender, age, disability, religious, socioeconomic backgrounds, and more while creating equal access to opportunity and distributing resources based on needs.
Thanks to funding from Community Foundation of the Ozarks, we are proud to have a Community Diversity & Equity Director who has been charged with working to advance EDI across the community and creating infrastructure for other organizations and businesses to improve their EDI culture. Racism, discrimination and intolerance are roadblocks to improving the quality of life for everyone in our region, and we must do better as a community, state, and nation.
Here at CPO, we want to serve as a change agent, proactively addressing and promoting EDI by implementing the Inclusive Excellence Model within our organization and the communities we serve. This model drives systemic change and promotes inclusive organizational culture and opportunities. The model was first brought to Springfield and implemented at Missouri State University, and it has expanded to Springfield’s public entities and other non-profit organizations. We will work with our community partners toward the Inclusive Excellence Model’s ultimate goal—to prevent people of diverse identities from being left further behind and continue to make entities and organizations inclusive and excellent for everyone. Future plans include a three-session Inclusive Excellence in the Ozarks training that will be available to our non-profit partners and local businesses. For information about this training, please contact Tyree Davis IV at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For a list of various resources that can be used to start conversations around EDI as well as a starting point to gain insight and understanding, visit the resource links below.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging Resources:
• Why Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Matters for Nonprofits
• Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity
• Diversity Toolkit: A Guide to Discussing Identity, Power and Privilege
• Cultural Intelligence
• Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Glossary of Terms
• Social Justice Glossary
• How Managers Can (and Should) address Race and Violence in the News
• Creating a Community in which Young Professionals of Color want to Live in
• Race Equity and Inclusion Action Guide
• Beyond Political Correctness: Building a Diverse Board
• Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity Policy Template
• Talking about Race
• Anti-racism Resources
• 5 Ways to Show Up for Racial Justice Today